May 19, 2007

Do you know where your data are?

I am using a couple of external Firewire drives to supplement my computer. After digitizing my music collection, storing digital photos, and editing video footages, it was very evident I needed more than 74 gig in my computer. I am content with storing my multimedia files off my computer as Firewire 400 connection is fast. Lately, I have been concerned what might happen if any of my hard drives failed. I would hate to spend hours putting music back on. Not to mention, losing music, photos, and videos, that I do not have physical backups. Ouch.

As the song I still haven't found what I'm looking for goes, I have not found a fast and reliable way to back up my valuable data. I bought one external box, Galaxy Metal Gearbox, that can connect via ethernet, but it has not worked out so well. Etherfast (100mbps) would take forever to transfer files. Also, whatever basic program running the box seems archaic. It would have a hard time transferring a huge files or files with long names. Bah humbug!!!!!!

I hope I've found a solution. I am spending a little money to buy a D-Link DNS-323, network attached storage. What makes it really cool are a gigabit port (1,000 mbps), two SATA hard drive support, and RAID 1 support.

I am hoping I will no longer have to worry about losing my valuable digital music, photos, videos, and other files.

No comments: