Dec 26, 2007

Movies, movies, movies ...

Now that I am on vacation and not grading papers or finalizing grades, I find myself at movie theaters. I guess I have a pent-up desire to see movies. I have managed to see Charlie Wilson's War, I am Legend, and No Country for Old Men.

The most entertaining and educational of the three is Charlie Wilson's War. I had no idea to the level of our involvement in Afghan. Seymour Hoffman was hilarious. Tom Hanks was charming. I know the critics do not agree how good this movie is, but I think it delivers on all cylinders. One thing I did not understand. Why was a Emily Blunt caste as just another bimbo? I thought she was a well regarded actress. A complete overcast. Hmm.

I read about the great acting by Will Smith in I am Legend, so I was excited about seeing it. I was a little disappointed. I guess the hype did a job on my expectation. Smith did okay as a lone survivor and was believable for the most part. I am disappointed that the movie chose to make Smith's character as a 100% protagonist. I read about the meaning of the title and controversy surrounding the movie's take. I think I would like it better if the script was faithful to the book as I find the movie's ending very ordinary.

I was blown away by No Country for Old Men. I think everyone was fantastically cast. Bardem is a psycho. Brolin is a men's man. Lee Jones is a righteous sheriff. Wow. You just have to see it to believe it. I must own this movie when it comes out.

I will see Juno today. I hear nothing but good things.

No comments: