Aug 23, 2005

Downward Dog? Yoga is not so bad.

I just redeemed my sister's gift from last Christmas. She thoughtfully (cough) got me an intro series to yoga. It consists of eight classes during four weeks. I was, of course, very apprehensive as I am not as limber as I would like. I was also leery of spiritual propaganda being pushed by yoga instructors as I don't know much about it. I guessed the best I can do is go in open minded and reject anything I don't like. Anyhoo.

I arrived a little early for the first class, as I hate being late. I handed over my waiver and paid a dollar for mat rental. There were more than tweleve students if I recall correctly. It was standing room only, or should I say sitting room only. The students were of different types. You know, tall, short, skinny, and not so skinny. I was surprised to see about equal number of men and women. I guess I was relieved to see guys.

There was a great "Gosh darn" moment. A great room walked in and laid out her mat. You know, the eye candy type that makes your class bearable or enjoyable. Sorry to say, she was in there for few minutes before realizing she was in a wrong class. BUMMER.

Weirdly, I actually enjoyed my first class. It was more strenuous than I thought it would be. I felt much tension from rarely stretched muscles, joints, and extremities. I think this will be good for my running and good for calming down. I think I can actually use some of these postures in real life. COOL!!!

My movie pick:

I am recommending two movies this time. I enjoyed watching Sin City and Layer Cake. Sin City is a visually stunning movie based on the graphic novel with same name, which I am assuming. It has all the big names like Bruce Willis, Brittany Murphy, and Elijah Wood. That means acting is above par. It is violent. It is unnecessarily violent like the comic violence can get. Only downfall for me is that I kind of outgrew the type of story this. It is not the most interesting story for me.

Layer Cake is a British gangster movie about drug business. It is a great story and acting is also good. I had no idea who is the bad guy. I mean they are all bad guys, but who is the one doing the bad things? I highly recommend this movie even though I hated the twisted ending. May be a little weak!

No comments: