Jun 9, 2006

Day 2 of Bryce Canyon Trip ...

Weather: Alternating between windy, cloudy, Snowy, and Sunny
Fuel: 9 gallons from Bryce
Quote of the Day: "Snow? It must be cold." by unknown tourist

I woke up early again. I quickly packed my sleeping arrangement, which consisted of a tarp, a mat, and a sleeping bag. It was a great night of sleep. I guess driving a long distance makes you tired. Right away, I thought of driving to scenic vistas for taking photos. I took numerous photos, but I was not very satisfied with them. Why? Since sun light does not reach the canyon when it rises, lighting is harsh by the time it reaches the canyon.

After a couple hour of taking photos, I drove to meet up with the group. Of course, I am like their alarm clock. They were saying things like "what time is it?" We talked and watched TV as people got ready one at a time.

We went to the nearest general store to buy our lunchs. We did not want to go hungry while hiking in and out of the canyon. I bought an apple, a sandwich, a bag of popcorns, and a bag of jerky. Of course, I blew my budget on beef jerky!

Once we reentered the park, we stopped at the Visitor Center. We wanted to verify our hiking routes and such. I bought the fanciest national park patch to date while waiting. We were going to be hiking at least two trails for sure. Before embarking on the first trail, we drove to the lodge to change our dinner reservation. We all wanted to Suns play Mavs, who are playing for the Western Conference Title.

We drove about 19 miles to Rainbow Point. The road there is windy and uphill. It was fun driving my MX-5 shifting between third and fourth, which was much more fun than shifting due to slow traffic.

We did an easy trail called Bristlecone Loop Trail. We talked and looked around. It is great being outdoors. We actually found some Bristlecone trees. I didn't find them any more interesting than other pine trees.

We stopped at a scenic point, whose name I cannot recall. There were many tourists taking pictures of two huge crows. There were a couple who fed the crows Goldfish crackers. WHAT! I approached the couple, and told them, "I am not trying to be mean. Please do not fee the animals." I hope the couple did not think I was being hostile.

We, then, drove to Sunrise for the next hike. I had a hard time finding a parking space. The group ate lunch in the parking lot while I drove around. After ten or fifteen minutes, I was able to find a lot. I ate my sandwich and some popcorns, and drank some water. I think we all felt ready to hike into the canyon via Queen's Garden Trail. The hike in was quite easy, because it was downhill, and we did not carry anything, really. We arrived at the Queen's Garden, where hikers were looking at a rock formation resembling Queen Victoria. I thought the rock was supposed to resemble her face, but it looks like a lady with a poofy dress. Oh, well. Hiking out was a little bit harder. I guess we are not accustomed to climbing. There was a switchback even. Thank God, it was not a long trail. The hike ended at Sunset Point.

We had to walk back to Sunrise via Rim Trail. It was overcast at the time and snow flakes started falling. It was such a nice change from 100+ hot weather. As we walked past many visitors from different nations, it was fun to drop in on their conversations. I could make out some French, Spanish, and Korean. Of course, I smirk whenever I can make out exactly what they are saying. Danielle and I heard the quote of the day from the following conversation.

Old Male Tourist: It's snowing!

Old Femail Tourist: "Snow? It must be cold."

Danielle and I decided a nap would be better than taking another hike while the others did not. We separated after making a plan to meet up at the lodge restaurant for dinner. I washed up first and shut my eyes for a couple of hours. Before long, it was time for us to meet up with the group for dinner.

We were seated right on time although Chinese looking hosts were a little confusing at first. They asked us to wait and then seated us shortly with confused look on their face. I think they had a hard time with Danielle's name. Funny, I don't think her name is all that complicated. A happy waitress, who I thought was pretty, helped with selecting our meals. When Danielle asked what the waitress liked, she obliged with what is preprepared and what is made on-site and other good information. We selected chicken (the original white meat), pork loin (the other white meat), and trout (another white meat ? although it looked pink). We all had a beer each to go with our meal. To top it off, we even got desserts, which were a small chocolate cake and an apple dumpling. I even had organic coffee. After having crappy to mediocre meals for the past couple of days, the dinner was heaven sent. I think being in pristine outdoors with good company made the meal much more.

We came back to watch the Suns' game. Everyone was really into it. Some more than others. Suns lost, but there would be more games. I went back to my campsite for the last night in Bryce.

In case you missed the day 1, click here.

No comments: