Apr 14, 2007

A snake episode ...



or as I like to call it, There is a mofo snake in my mofo house! This is a follow up to Help, I am boxed in ...

Here is the complete story. When I got tired around 11 pm three nights ago, I started walking to my bedroom from my computer room. As I got near the hallway door, I suddenly noticed a huge light brown rope like object. I instantly recognized it, a huge snake! I almost walked right into it as the snake has similar color to my carpeting. Counting my stars as I type this.

I looked around the computer room, but I did not see anything that could help me with this situation. Mental note: get some snake removing tools. I decided to throw my shirt on top of the snake. Distract it long enough to get out of the computer room. I did not like the idea of being stuck in the room. Throwing my shirt proved in vain. The snake is way too quick and the shirt not big enough. Shoot!

I decided to wait it out a little as I am pretty sure the snake was also afraid of me. I decided to check on the internet if the snake is venomous. It is a long yellow snake with dark brown patterns. I was pretty sure it is not a rattle snake, but I was a little concerned. Using the pattern, head shape and tail, I determined that the snake is a gopher snake. I am not 1,000% sure, but pretty close to it.

I also looked up how to capture a snake as well as what professionals could help me. You know, who can I call. I did not think a non poisonous snake warranted a 911 call. I completely forgot about calling fire department. I decided against grabbing behind the snake's head. Even if it is not poisonous, it is wild and could bite out of fear. I decided to somehow get it in a trashcan and put a lid on it.

When I finally decided on what to do, the snake retreated enough for me to leave the room. I grabbed a broom and a blue trashcan, and worked on getting the snake in the trashcan. Well, that did not work so well. It did not want to go in the trashcan. Instead, it retreated into another room. After trying for while longer, I gave up on the idea of getting the snake in the trashcan.

I decided to steer the snake out the door using two broom sticks. I closed all the room doors and started poking the snake a little here and a little there. It did not always move in the direction I wanted to, but I was able to get the snake moving in the right direction. When the snake got real agitated, it recoiled and hissed and lunged at the sticks. I would rest and let the snake calm down. We would do this awkward dance until the snake finally left my house.

Wow, what eventful night!

No comments: