Sep 28, 2005

My beer is prematurely done fermenting ...

I brewed last Friday a Belgian beer called saison. It is a rustic beer with a wide flavor profile. Since it is fermented at high temperatures, there are many flavors that do not show up in clean tasting beer (boring some says) like German lagers and British ales (to a less degree).

My saison is of the heaviest kind. It is starting at 1.080 specific gravity, which means it should be about 9% abv. YEAH! I hope this turns out to be a big tasting beer. Within a few hours of brewing, the beer started to show signs of fermenting. Air bubbling through and smell of sweet malt in the air only lasted about two days. It should be going for at least two or three more days. I thought may be it was a vigorous and fast. I decided to transfer to another clean vessel for secondary fermenting/aging.

I found that the beer was stuck at 1.045 specific gravity. Sample tasted too sweet. Oh, no. I may have to pitch another batch of yeast. Lucky for me that I saw a sign of fermentation restarting. Very slowly but surely, air bubble started to come up the air lock. YES! I guess I will tough it out and just wait for the specific gravity to drop to the right level.

No comments: