May 14, 2006

A New Chapter Begins...


Brandon, who is pictured above, is my new little brother from Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Arizona. He is a ten-year old, and quite chatty. I have been matched with him for less than a week.

For our first outing, we went to the Phoenix Botanical Garden yesterday. It was Brandon's idea to go. Who am I to say no? We were there about four o'clock in the afternoon. It was a little warm to say the least. We both got a sport drink each from a gas station on the way to the garden.

We first went to the butterfly exhibit, because it was near closing time on its last day, I think. I brought two cameras so we can both take photos. I gave Brandon a quick lesson on using a camera. We took numerous photos of various butterflies. Of course, there were not many usable photos from me. In fact, I am keeping only two. Brandon is a typical urban ten-year old. He is afraid of bees even after assurance from me that there isn't any danger. We had a leisurely fun walking around looking at fauna, flora, and people.

On the way back to Brandon's home, we stopped at a Jack in the Box and used a coupon good for two free combos courtesy of the BBBS and Jack in the Box. I took the opportunity to talk to Brandon about not being wasteful when he grabbed more napkins than we needed. Is this being mentor like? After dining, I took him home. I think it was a pretty good outing. I am looking forward to getting to knowing him better.

That brings me back to my first little. My first little brother, Josh, is graduating from his high school next week, and we are not an official match through Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Arizona. I am sad that we are not an official match, but it is nice to see a little all grown up!


This is one of my favorite photos Brandon took.

No comments: