Jul 9, 2006

Did You Know US Is #1 For ...

I watched an episode of Globe Trekker, which was about South Eastern America, which includes Virginia, West Virginia, and Georgia, today on Public Broadcasting System. While watching the episode, I learned new tidbits about us, Americans, but not every new factoids were positive.

Megan McCormick, the hostess of this episode, hiked a part of Appalachian Trail, attended a state fair, and experienced a Civil War reactment in Virgina. She then went to West Virginia for a bee keeper experience, a prison system, and a bridge diving event. Lastly she went to Georgia and experienced a debutante ball and witnessed an outdoor baptism.

I was fascinated to learn that Appalachian Trail runs through fourteen states, and it takes most hikers six months to finish. I am not sure I have enough fortitude to begin or finish such an expedition, but sure would love to try.

Here is the part of the episode I hated. I hated to learn that US is number one in incarcerating its own citizens. I also learned how cruel death sentences by electricution can be. It was described as five minutes of massive heart attack. If that is not a description of unusual and cruel, then I do not know what is.

No comments: