Jun 5, 2007

Brick ...


I just found out what "brick" means in electronics. It's not like throwing bricks in basketball. It's not like the song, Brick House. In electronics, Brick is the slang term for an electronic device which cannot function (or has been rendered useless by damaged firmware).

Why am I writing about electronic devices that just sits there? Because I have two bricks. One I was able to revive and the other is a paper weight. Unlike the good ole days, electronic devices are often upgradeable through a process called firmware upgrade. I did such upgrades on a NAS box and a wifi router.

After an unofficial firmware upgrade, Galaxy Metal Gear NAS box did not work well with my computer network. Fortunately, I was able to reload a correct firmware with a bootloader. How is that for a geeky talk!

Unfortunatley, I could not find right information or at least easy information for my Belkin G router. Oh well, it is an expensive lesson learned about being cautious when upgrading firmwares.

No comments: